In celebration of International Women’s Day 2021 ABC would like to acknowledge some of the most inspirational women in Law.
– Born 1848
– 1888 Eliza Orme becomes the first woman to earn a Law degree in England
– 1892 Orme became Senior Lady Assistant Commissioner to the Royal Commission on Labour
Dame Rose Heilbron:
– Born 1914
– 1936 Heilbron becomes the first woman to be awarded a scholarship at Gray’s Inn
– 1939 Rose Heilbron is called to the Bar
Dame Heilbron went on to be one of the first women to be made Kings Counsel and the first female judge of the Old Bailey.
Baroness Brenda Hale:
– Called to the Bar in 1969
– In 1984, became the youngest person ever to be appointed to the Law Commission
– In 2004 was the first woman to be appointed to the position of Lord of Appeal in Ordinary
Baroness Hale served as President of the Supreme Court from 2017 until retirement in 2020 making her the most senior female judge in history.
Baroness Helena Kennedy of the Shaws QC:
-Life Peerage in October 1997
At just 24, Kennedy set up her own chambers to work on sex-discrimination cases and domestic violence against women.
Take a look at https://lnkd.in/dS7dHFp to follow the journey of women in law since 1919.